[lbo-talk] cushy life

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:16:50 PST 2005

> Well, that's what we're getting, and I blame Fair Issac for coming up
> with the FICO score that has literally opened wide the ability for just
> about anyone (who would normally have been shut out due to
> discrimination or by the belief that they wouldn't qualify) to buy a
> house, generate wealth, and spend it on, as has been said here before,
> plastic crap.
>
> Ain't it awful?

It is not only awful from an aesthetic point of view, but as Jared Diamond argues in his latest book (_Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed_) a road to possible extinction. Do you really think that a poorly built plywood house on an acre of land that requires enormous amount of energy to heat and air condition, and a system of roads and gas guzzling SUV to get to and from it is model for any part of the world other than the vast wasteland of the US suburbia?

I am not beneath schadenfreude - I would love to see those plywood houses collapsing like houses of cards during my life time.

Wojtek