[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 20 07:20:55 PST 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

>I've stated many times that big unions are the left wing of capital.
>I don't feel the same way about small unions, which includes the one
>that I'm currently a member of.

How can small unions possibly fight big capital? Stuff like this is why it's easy to see anarchists as living in a dream world.

>Crossing picket lines is odious? I have no recollection of saying
>something that generalized. I pointed out that there are gray areas,
>such as stupid pickets, and an example of such was provided. I can
>think of other reasons to cross picket lines. Labor absolutism sucks
>and doesn't accomplish anything. I think everybody here wants to
>help workers to organize better.

Hmm, well maybe I'd cross a picket line organized by a fascist union, if such a thing were to exist. But otherwise, "don't cross a picket line" is an axiom of solidarity, not some piece of rigid absolutism. If the workers ask you to do it, who are you to second-guess them?

>I stand by my words directed at Lacny's partner. He comes onto this
>list on a regular basis to attack me. If he is going to dish it out,
>I will throw it back at him.

Why? What does that accomplish beyond accelerating the circulation of shit?

Doug