[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 19:19:07 PST 2005

It seems particularly silly for folks to be making a case here for not crossing picket lines, particularly since no one seems to have any substantive idea of what this picket is about (though, I admit to not having read all 173 posts in this thread). I think we're all in agreement that a lot of "big unionism" simply isn't making it, and is sometimes in fact pro-management. And there's certainly no reason to hold to any hard-and-fast rules about picket lines or anything else. Perhaps it's necessary to look at what's worked and what hasn't, historically, on the left, and reconcile it all with the contemporary situation of labor in the United States. Similarly, I think the left, the labor movement, and workers need to examine which unions and/or locals are working to advance the position of workers, and which are not. In the case of unions which are clearly failing, they can be disbanded at the discretion of workers, who can then form new, more radical unions.

Let me add that I think labor will be important to any substantive social change in the United States, since the majority of Americans are workers of one type or another, and as a group have the almost exclusive power of sending the whole system to a grinding halt.