[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu Jan 20 10:50:14 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Hmm, well maybe I'd cross a picket line organized by a fascist union,
> if such a thing were to exist. But otherwise, "don't cross a picket
> line" is an axiom of solidarity, not some piece of rigid absolutism.
> If the workers ask you to do it, who are you to second-guess them?

its the "otherwise"s, that you (and the other person... lacny?) mention in passing, that's crucial to this discussion, isn't it? your "otherwise" includes "fascism". mine may include racism. how about sexism?

is personal reasoning and action equivalent to "second guessing"? shouldn't our support for another person or group be based on valid moral reasoning? surely something as high-level as solidarity with a particular worker group cannot be morally axiomatic?

what makes the rule "don't cross a picket line" an axiom of solidarity rather than a piece of rigid absolutism?

--ravi