[lbo-talk] Boycotting the unorganized?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 20 12:58:25 PST 2005

Ravi:
> what makes the rule "don't cross a picket line" an axiom of solidarity
> rather than a piece of rigid absolutism?

Unions, as well as other public institutions, provide public goods which are encumbered with the so called "free rider problem." That is to say, the provider of the said goods finds it rather difficult to limit the benefits of such goods to non-payers. As a result, payments of such goods must either be coerced (e.g. in the form of taxation) or the goods will not be provided at all. The proscription of not crossing the picket line is of the same nature as the compulsion to pay taxes - it is necessary to overcome the free rider problem.

The catch is what is considered "public good." Few people would advocate non-payment of taxes that pay for roads, schools, social security, fire and police protection, etc. on the ground that an individual must determine it for herself if the services in question are truly "public." Nobody would seriously endorse such a position (except perhaps some sociopaths and libertarians). But things change when we start talking about public goods (i.e. collective benefits for workers) provided by unions. Suddenly, individual choice trumps the compulsion to pay for collective goods that otherwise remains unquestioned.

This, imho, is an example of how much public discourse in this country is inculcated with pro-business propaganda. Businesses provide public goods, such as creating employment, charitable contributions, etc. for which they "deserve" tax breaks. Unions, otoh, serve narrowly defined interest of their members and need to be constantly scrutinized if they do not impinge on "individual choice."

Even posing the question of trade unionism as "individual choice" is the capitulation to the business propaganda. In civilized countries, union membership comes automatically with employment - but in this shit hole it is an "individual choice." The absurdity of this position becomes evident when you consider individual choices on other public goods delivered by the crypto-fascist federal entity and its business sponsors:

- can people vote to be members of the United States or to secede? - can people vote to pay federal taxes? - can people choose not to have car insurance?

Wojtek