[lbo-talk] rosie awards

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Jan 20 14:04:45 PST 2005

For a piece that appeared first in a journal almost no one has seen - Radical Society - it's gotten lots of attention, and several reprints too. We've gotten lots of (mostly positive) responses to it, too - from people who'd been bummed or burned by American-style activism.

Liza & I are doing a piece for the next LBO that's something of a descendant of "Action Will Be Taken." The hook is the silly "Not One Damn Dime" anti-inaugural event, which urges us to buy nothing today to protest W. Truly Adorno was right when he complained that "actionism" fails to reflect on its own impotence.

Doug

^^^^^^

CB: I had some thoughts similar to yours when I wrote "Activist Materialism and the End of Philosophy". Now, we have had quite a bit of time to reflect, philosophize and theorize since those articles. At some point, it would seem we would complete a theorizing phase and go back into action based on our reflection. What from our activist experience did and do we reflect on ? What have we concluded are the ways to modify our activism based on our reflections ? ( There may be future phases of reflection, of course.)