[lbo-talk] Re: Boycotting the unorganized?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 16:15:17 PST 2005

>And speaking about solidarity, what about the
>electrician's union in Massachusetts that changed its
>by-laws to define marriage as between two people
>of the opposite sex so it didn't have to give benefits
>to queer couples?
>
>Now THAT'S sick (of course not everyone may be
>offended).
>
>Brian Dauth
>Queer Buddhist Resister

According to a few on this list this fact makes no difference should this union throw up a picket line. I am of the opinion that you could go to them and tell them I am crossing your picket line as a form of protest against your ban on same sex couples. I hate to break solidarity with you but you have chosen to break solidarity with me first and this is the result of that divisive action on your part. A few on this list call you a traitor (accompanied by asshole, go fuck yourself, etc) but in my opinion you would be justified in doing so. If you choose to protest their action through another route and stand by their picket that is your choice too.

These aren't exactly everyday scenarios for most of us. In general when you see a picket you can safely take the side of labor. Unless you have specific knowledge of something that makes a particular picket extremely odious or if you have a specific issue with the union involved your best bet is to take the side of labor. You're pretty unlikely to be making an error with this approach. When faced with a picket you oppose for very good reason sometimes all you have is two negative choices. Then you'll have to let your experiences be your guide. As I said it rarely comes up in the real world but it does happen. Pretending there is one absolute truth in all this is the viewpoint best left for zealots.

Isn't this what a discussion list is for, fleshing out these types of issues rather than repeating dogmatic answers and chastising those who stray? I have crossed exactly one picket line in 40 years. I only did this after several days of thoughtful deliberation on my part. You can certainly disagree with me and feel my choice was in error. That is your right, but I haven't seen anyone advocating crossing a picket line whenever the mood strikes them or for silly self-serving reasons which seems to be the gist of most criticisms. Disagreement is expected but senseless hateful name calling does nothing to further anyones understanding.

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0503-1, 01/20/2005 Tested on: 1/20/2005 6:15:27 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com