[lbo-talk] Poets I don't know...

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Fri Jan 21 04:30:37 PST 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 7:24 PM, joanna bujes wrote:

> So, really, I'm looking for something more contemporary or foreign.
>
> A poet's name or a particular collection....

Here are two: Frank Stanford and C. D. Wright (not Charles). Both hard to find (and if you stumble on a copy of Stanford's _Crib Death_ cheap somewhere, I'll happily give you something really nice for it). Wright was Stanford's publisher during his lifetime, and is an awfully fine poet on her own terms, as were most of the writers she published at Lost Roads.

Some people will tell you that Carolyn Forche (who is also awfully fine, but who I figure we all know about) learned a lot from Stanford while she was in the same town with him in the late seventies, and I think there's something to that.

I'd avoid Stanford's epic, _The Battlefield Where The Moon Says I Love You_, as a first read--his selected poems, _The Light The Dead See_, shouldn't be hard to turn up, but there's hardly a weak poem anywhere in his dozen-odd books. Anything by Wright is good, though I'm fondest of _Terrorism_ and _Room Rented By A Single Woman_.

All the best,

John A