[lbo-talk] Sophie's choice (was: Boycotting the unorganized? (multiple replies)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 21 11:56:17 PST 2005

>Michael Dawson:
>
> > Whether or not to cross a picket line is not a law. It is an
> > individual choice. As a unionist, I support everybody's
> > right to make the choice for herself or himself.

But it is a Sophie's Choice of a sort. The problem is not with the choice an individual must make, but that he or she was put in a position to make that choice. One does not have to chose which of her kid send to a gas chamber, expect in a Nazi concentration camp. Likewise, one does not have to chose between protecting his/her interests as a wage earner and his/her job or buying necessities, except in this shit hole aka US of A.

The point is not to debate which of these choices is right but what to do with the system that forces a person to make such choices.

Wojtek