[lbo-talk] Classes and Strata (was Boycotting the unorganized?)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 21 12:50:04 PST 2005

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu, Fri Jan 21 12:23:55 PST 2005:
>If we go around splitting hairs about classes versus strata and
>talking about self-exploitation, we will get laughed at, and rightly
>so.

The concepts of classes and strata can clarify objective and subjective differences. Again, an example: a medical doctor who has private practice and makes $200,000 per year has to pay for his own health care and save for his own retirement; a medical doctor who is employed by a hospital and paid a salary of $200,000 a year gets part of his compensation in the forms of employer-subsidized health care and pension in which the other doctors at the same workplace also participate. The self-employed medical doctor works out his own taxes; the medical doctor who is an employee automatically has his employer deduct taxes from his paycheck. The same income, different classes, different objective and subjective interests. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>