[lbo-talk] Re: boycotting the unorganized (middle class)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jan 23 08:47:32 PST 2005

Turbulo at aol.com wrote:

>You think it's that straightforward? You think people don't cling to
>myths as defenses against unpleasant realities? Americans hear from
>the day they're born that we're all middle class and upwardly mobile
>and life is constantly getting better. Of course a lot of that is a
>crock, but telling someone they're full of it is more likely to get
>you a punch in the face than a new recruit.
>
>Doug
>
> *************
>
>Karl Marx: "As to the prejudices of so-called public opinion, to
>which I have never made concessions, now as aforetime the maxim of
>the great Florentine is mine: 'Follow your own couse, and let the
>people talk.'"
>
>Doug Henwood: "As to the prejudices of so-called public opinion,
>which I have always taken scrupulously into account when
>considering how (or whether) to express my ideas, now maybe a little
>more than aforetime the injunction of the familiar road sign is
>mine: 'Proceed with Caution.'"

What the hell is wrong with you? I don't say public opinion is "right," but if you're doing politics, you have to play the hand you're dealt (as I believe Karl Marx himself said, in somewhat different words). People don't think they way you'd like them to, and you can't just tell them they're deluded. They will not listen, and may end up hating you for it. You're a walking, or at least typing, illustration of why Marxism is so marginalized politically.

Doug