[lbo-talk] Re: Boycotting the Unorganized?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Jan 23 19:31:29 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Brian Charles Dauth wrote:

> Queers are non-gender-specific humans that define themselves,
> not against heterosexuality, but against the normative. Queers
> resist the regimes of the normal.

What is "normative" in our society is the bifurcation of people into distinct sexual types (e.g., gay/straight), not simply the celebration of heterosexuality. When people identify people as stable sexual types based on their desires and sexual behavior, they're participating in the "regimes of the normal".

--So by this definition, I'm queer; in my view, the relatively recent cultural phenomenon of stable sexual identities is simply a basis for social control in industrial societies. However, anyone who self-identifies as (say) a lesbian or a gay man is not queer, because they accept the culturally dominant view that people should have stable sexual identities.

I suspect you're trying to draw a different distinction here!

Miles