[lbo-talk] boycotting the unorganized

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 10:20:07 PST 2005

Brian Charles Dauth:

> But John L wants to claim that one identity trumps
> all others: union member.

Not true at ALL. You are not engaging what I said at all.

> John L. reduces everything to "the union is right
> every time."

Brian, I'm sorry, but you're completely full of shit. I did not say anything like this. Learn to read.

> Under John L's method, it is support no matter what --
> union uber alles. There is no incentive for the union to
> change since John L. grants them carte blanche.

You're being incredibly disingenuous. I did not "grant them carte blanche" -- save when they struggle against the boss for better conditions. You know, of course, that I also grant bourgeois gay-rights outfits like the HRC carte blanche against creeps like Rick Santorum. Nowhere does this exempt them from criticism or even attack when they do something reactionary. I don't know how much longer I will have to repeat myself before you stop setting up these ridiculous straw men.

> My disagreement with Pope John is that instead of
> seizing this moment and turning capitalism's decay to
> labor's advantage, he would rather continue pursuing
> outmoded, archaic strategies, thereby allowing
> capitalism time to adapt to its decay and turn these
> multiplying identities to its benefit. A new collective is
> waiting to be born, but it is one that will be based on
> very different principles than previous ones.

What the fuck are you talking about?

This is complete gibberish. What "very different principles" do you refer to? I've seen nothing in the way of concrete proposals for these new "principles" from you, except for two things: (1) you've effectively said that electricians in Massachusetts -- including queer union members -- deserve to get screwed out of their wages, pensions, and job security because their union leadership took a reactionary position on queer liberation, and (2) that if the HRC ends up in the lead of the movement for gay marriage, then queer people deserve their continued oppression at the hands of the likes of Rick Santorum, because they let a bunch of unprincipled hacks lead them.

If these are your new principles, give me the old ones any day.