[lbo-talk] Re: cynicism, opportunism and fear (was lefties, fulfillment)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 25 12:20:54 PST 2005

Andy F wrote:

>--- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> around. In fact, while we're busily celebrating (or
>> bemoaning)
>> today's supply chains, the U.S. transportation
>> system - ports,
>> trucks, rail - is clogged almost to the breaking
>> point now, and no
>> one is eager to make the necessary investments to
>> relieve the
>> problem.
>
>I understand that it's been noted to be in disrepair,
>but how is it clogged?

The Financial Times has been covering this pretty heavily, but I don't see it in our press. But ports are jammed (inbound - we're exporting a lot of garbage, but not much else), freight rail is jammed (big bottlenecks around Chicago), and there's a shortage of truck drivers. To simplify & exaggerate in the way that journalists love, it's all that stuff making its way from China to the shelves at Wal-Mart.

Doug