[lbo-talk] cushy life/strict equality

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 17:08:58 PST 2005

Jordan:

This thread is kind of funny: people are worried about "the unproductive ones" as if we aren't already in a situation where we'd probably be better off if the vast numbers of people, at both ends of the economic spectrum with a healthy dollup in the middle, who are already "unproductive" would just stay home.

======

God yes, this is so true.

In every working situation there are people whose attitude is more reminiscent of say, Dean Martin enjoying a martini after a Vegas show than the workaholics we hear so very much about (in articles written and tv shows produced, no doubt, by other workaholics).

Sometimes there are excellent reasons to loaf and become a human glacier - for example, some steaming pile of workplace politics, or a realization that you're being unlovingly screwed into the hard, hard earth, brings about the artful wind down.

But other times there aren't such good excuses available: the person simply doesn't want to work and through their non-work (very often facilitated by a managerial ally), create a fiery cloud of more-work for those around them.

..

Now on the resentment scale, I'd say the in-work-yet-not-working folks weigh in much more heavily than those who simply aren't there.

Putting it another way: if there were a guaranteed income I suspect people who stayed home, taking in whatever pursuits struck their fancy would attract far less criticism than the joker who actually bothered to show up, only to break out the comfy chair for yet another exciting day of all zero action, all the time.

.d.