[lbo-talk] Larry Summers is no male chauvinist pig ...

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Thu Jan 27 22:02:49 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: <lweiger at umich.edu>
> ...unlike most leftists I think the responsibility is mostly
> a matter of what we haven't done (e.g. provide appropriate levels of aid
> poorer countries)

Yes, that is most unusual, and quite untenable given the prevailing balance of forces. US AID bureaucrats have done enormous damage in this part of the world (Southern Africa).

Instead, here's a progressive line, generally accepted in the Southern African economic justice movement, from a (centrist) NGO in Harare, the African Network on Debt and Development. Citing a World Bank study that acknowledges that 'a typical poor country receives 90% of GDP through Aid but the poorest quartile of the population consume only 4% of the GDP,' Afrodad's then-director Opa Kapijimpanga concluded, 'aid is a tool to serve the commercial, political, economic and strategic interests of donor countries.' As a result, 'The donor creditor countries must keep all their aid and against it write off all the debt owed by poor African countries... The bottom line would be elimination of both aid and debt because they reinforce the power relations that are contributing to the imbalances in the world.'

Kapijimpanga, O. (2001), 'An Aid/Debt Trade-Off the Best Option,' in G.Ostravik (Ed), The Reality of Aid Reality Check 2001, Oslo, Norwegian Peoples Aid.