[lbo-talk] the riddle of Al Qaeda

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 09:54:35 PST 2005

John Lacny wrote: "The KLA is not a Muslim Brotherhood organization; the accounts I've seen of its origins indicate that it was Maoist/Hoxhaite in its earliest incarnations. Albanian fascists, Islamists of various stripes, and so on all came later. "Hezbollah is definitely not a Muslim Brotherhood organization, either, since it is Shi'ite."

- I was referring to networks *affiliated* with the Muslim Brhd., I did not say the KLA or Hebollah were Muslim Brotherhood organizations per se, I was talking about the links between these organizations. Hezbollah is not a Muslim Brotherhood organization per se, but is linked to the MB, indeed, Hezbollah, along with the PLO and Hamas have been operating out of Khartoum, Sudan for years, the result of an alliance between the Shia controlled government of Iran and the Sunni Muslim government of Sudan, whose former Prime Minister is also a leading light of the Muslim Brotherhood.

as to the KLA: "The Takfir Wal Hijra was founded in Egypt in 1970s as an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood. Takfir Wal Hijra was responsible for several acts of violence, including the assassination of President Anwar Sadat in 1981. Islamists, including Takfir Wal Hijra, were, in the early 1980s backed, financed, armed and even given travel documents by the CIA, British intelligence and other Western and Islamic intelligence agencies in return for their support in the fight against the Russians in Afghanistan. They created havoc in Egypt in the 1990s and were responsible for savage atrocities in Algeria, while threatening to destabilise some of the oil-producing nations of the Gulf.

When Pakistan deported thousands of 'Arab Afghan Mujahedine' in the early 1990s, they regrouped in Sudan, Algeria and Lebanon, which was used as one of several training bases for Islamic militants who later fought in Algeria, and subsequently in Bosnia and Kosovo. They are supported by groups and donations from rich Muslims in Egypt, Algeria, and some Gulf nations, to the annoyance of the governments of those countries. Lebanese sources said Muslim Brotherhood-aligned elements have received millions of dollars from fundamentalists abroad to establish schools, clinics and charities in the largely undeveloped north of the country. Inevitably some of this money found its way to Takfir Wal Hijra fighters who used it to buy weapons and organise fighters. <A HREF=http://www.asyl.net/Magazin/Docs/Docs07/L5247LBN.TXT>11/2002</a>

Joseph Wanzala:

John Lacny wrote:

The KLA is not a Muslim Brotherhood organization; the accounts I've seen of its origins indicate that it was Maoist/Hoxhaite in its earliest incarnations. Albanian fascists, Islamists of various stripes, and so on all came later.

Hezbollah is definitely not a Muslim Brotherhood organization, either, since it is Shi'ite.

I think the question of whether al-Qaeda really exists -- or what its nature really is -- is a legitimate one to ask, by the way.