[lbo-talk] CD/Analog religious views

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Jan 30 19:20:58 PST 2005

There's them that don't mind CD's and them that sigh for that good ole time analog sound.

I've had all kinds of technical explanations as to why digitized sound is as good or better than analog, but it all reminds me of this old Playboy cartoon: buxomy blonde is stitting up on a hospital gurney-table looking very irate and disatisfied, and trailing wires that are hooking her up to a variety of monitoring equipment. The caption has her saying "What do you _mean_ the machine said I had an orgasm!?!?!"

That's kind of where I am with digital sound. I like the fact that I can carry 50 CDs in my car and have access to lots of music. I like the easy random access stuff. I like the fact that I can burn CD's... but I prefer analog sound -- which I seem to "hear" with my whole body....as opposed to digital sound, which I seem to hear only with my "brain." And spare me your corrections on this one, I'm speaking metaphorically. Clearly sensual apprehension depends on brain and brawn.

Joanna