[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 09:14:51 PST 2005

I agree with you essentially, but doesn't your point really apply only to purely acoustic music played live with no amplification? Otherwise, isn't live music once amplified in an arena or auditorium dependent on the same technical vagaries as reproduction? I've been to many live performances that sounded awful (frustratingly so because this had nothing to do with the performance itself which was usually stellar) and many indeed that were sublime, but all this was a function of the acoustics, the sound engineers, the equipment and so on and so forth. Like many others on this thread apparently I am something of an audiofile, (albeit a sometimes gullible one) and I am constantly tinkering with different combinations of analog/digital set ups, ultimately I think the choices we make are subjective but I think the debates about what constitutes 'good sound' are facsinating, even ruinous when you consider how much some of the better equipment can cost.

Joe W.