[lbo-talk] Re: The Harvey Milk School Has No Right to Exist. Discuss

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 31 18:36:10 PST 2005

Dear List:

Michael writes:

> In a decent society, the schools would be awash in money,
and nobody would bat an eye at this.

The money is just the hook. The real issues is queer youth.

> I do think it's important for subordinated groups not to
self-subordinate, but this looks more like a poverty program than a gay issue, despite the gay theme of the school.

It is a survival issue. The physical and emotional abuse these young people take on a daily basis is horrific (note: I have worked with queer youth for many years).

Queers used to be much stronger when we were our own community and relied on ourselves. Look at the Negro Leagues -- integration destroyed them.

> I would bet that the city's rich gay teens have little or nothing to
do with this effort to keep from losing kids to the streets.

They go to Ethical Culture Society etc. where it is fashionable to have a queer friend or two.

Of all the "progressives" I have met who rail against queers having a separate school, none of them had queer children and all of their children were in private schools. 'Nuf said.

I will add that TJ is on the opposite side of this issue from me. What makes his opposition even more interesting is that he used to be let out of class five minutes early so that he could be in the halls alone and avoid being molested -- high school was that rough for him.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister