[lbo-talk] Russian MPs Want to Put Gorbachev on Trial

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 04:35:12 PDT 2005

Of course, this is the LDPR's job: suggesting wild initiatives that have no chance of becoming law (Chris

has told me that Zhirinovsky's solution to Russia's demographic crisis is to legalise bigamy). Imagine the fun if you could put a head of state on trial for being the source of "all our woes", though.

Simon

Russian MPs Want to Put Gorbachev on Trial

Created: 01.07.2005 12:58 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 12:58 MSK

MosNews

Deputies from the outspoken nationalist LDPR faction of the Russian State Duma on Friday said they will prepare a criminal suit against former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, the Interfax news agency reports.

Deputy Sergei Abeltsev said at the Friday session of the lower house that he wanted to put forward an initiative to cancel ex-president Gorbachev’s immunity and to launch a criminal probe against him. Abeltsev called Gorbachev “the main initiator of the Soviet Union’s collapse and the main culprit of ”all our woes“.

Another deputy, Victor Ilyukhin of the Communist Party Faction, supported the initiative and said that he would gladly work on the draft of the resolution. He added that he possessed information that could lead to the instigation of a criminal case against Gorbachev.

”These facts need a lawyer’s appraisal,“ Ilyukhin said.

___________________________________________________________ How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com