[lbo-talk] The Afghan War as a "Lost Leader"

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jul 1 06:48:25 PDT 2005

Looking at it longer term, the Taliban probably never would have come to power if U.S. imperialism had not armed and organized the Afghan Contras-Counterrevolutionaries. Can you count out another terroristic group coming to power after this U.S. intervention/quick-fix ?

Charles

Chris Doss

See, I think you're illustrating my point. You're looking at Afghanistan insofar as it relates to the US, and thereby missing that the Taliban were aggressively promoting war everywhere from the North Caucasus to Northern Iran to Western China. When the US (and it was actually a US-Russia operation BTW) eliminated the Talibs from power, they headed off a military conflagration that was threatening the entire area. This BTW is why Afghanistan's neighbors supported and continue to support the US morally and materially, not because of sillinesses like "Moscow allowed US troops in the 'stans in exchange for silence on Chechnya."