[lbo-talk] Ever more opportunities

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jul 1 10:27:15 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> So, you see, I don't get the outrage. What really annoys is the
> attitude that, if you do work like that, you must be twisted or it
> must twist you. What I've learned is that all jobs are like that, it's
> just that the people doing them fancy themselves abovitall in
> nosebleed territory. You lie to yourself that it's your choice to do
> these things. Whatever.

Yes we pretty much all prostitute ourselves in this economy because that's pretty much how it works. But if, as you're arguing, this woman's situation is not exceptional, then she would not be a feature story in this week's Google news. And, yes, though we all prostitute ourselves, there are degrees: Putting on a smile and cocking your head at a certain angle is not the same as tatooing your forehead.

Yes, we all work like that but what is not added to our plate is the dollop of shame. Because normally, we only brand cattle.

Joanna