[lbo-talk] Re: Zapatista - looks like the last part of it.

Steven Gotzler Steve at Gotzler.org
Fri Jul 1 11:14:12 PDT 2005

Sorry about resending it. It was so long.

I have not ever been there. However, many people I know have been there.

In this particular case it seems to have been very useful. On the ground there, the people believe that they are better off because of the whole thing. The organization is real, they do function in a huge number of cities as the defacto government. They can mobilize their base rapidly.

I doubt that they can overthrow the government, but they do seem to have been able to at least hold them to a draw. If other groups in Mexico did the same thing that coalition might be able to project some power outward.

My guess is that this is not a bad structure, but that it would only be useful in similar sorts of situations.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 1:21 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: Zapatista - looks like the last part of it.