[lbo-talk] etymology

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 1 13:04:57 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Any etmyology experts on this list? Some hyper-PC dude on the WBAI
> producers' list claims that "terrorist" comes from the same root as
> "terrestrial" - because terrorist = dirt. Dictionaries do not confirm
> this, but...

Certainly no expert, but the "scholar" search option of the Googlebar (Scholar + Googlebar???.LOL) , gave me this "The etymology of the term terror begins with the Latin verb terrere, mean- ing “to arouse fear.”

http://tinyurl.com/cgnxy

http://scholar.google.com/url?sa=U&q=http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/index/ADVC4NFHYDR6XBMM.pdf --

Gary Williams

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign." - John Stuart Mill

http://mycos.blogspot.com/

Todays Iraq Body Count

Min Max

22774 25796