[lbo-talk] etymology

John Kozak j_k_ at xylema.org
Sat Jul 2 01:24:19 PDT 2005

> Any etmyology experts on this list? Some hyper-PC dude on the WBAI
> producers' list claims that "terrorist" comes from the same root as
> "terrestrial" - because terrorist = dirt. Dictionaries do not
> confirm this, but...

It's hopelessly wrong, as everyone else has pointed out.

Though we're all dirt, actually; there really does seem to be an etymological connection between one of the basic IndoEuropean words for "person" (appears in Latin as "homo", French "homme" &c) and the world for "dirt", "earth" (Latin "humus").

John