[lbo-talk] the "junior note-taker"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 1 14:08:15 PDT 2005

I've been avoiding citing Christopher Hitchens outrages, but this one is pretty far around the bend. The premise of this column seems to be that the Downing Street Memo is sorta like The Da Vinci Code <http://slate.com/id/2121212/>. In it appears this passage:

>On a visit to Washington in the prelude to the Iraq war, some senior
>British officials formed the strong and correct impression that the
>Bush administration was bent upon an intervention. Their junior
>note-taker committed the literary and political solecism of saying
>that intelligence findings and "facts" were being "fixed" around
>this policy.

Wasn't that "junior note-taker" the head of MI6?

Doug