[lbo-talk] great white north day

N P Childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 1 14:18:44 PDT 2005

>Happy Canada Day to those who celebrate it. Why July 1? And what's the standard celebration? Grilling back bacon?

1: It was the day in 1867 that the former colonies of Upper and Lower Canada, and couple of others were officially declared one country 'Canada' under the Act of Confederation and the British North America Act (BNA) , the legal core of our constitution as it defines the powers of levels and purposes of our various governments (peace, order and good government etc.) . I'm embarrassed to say this but I can't remember what other provinces joined at the time, as other provinces joined at different times, like the province I live in Alberta and our rectangular neighbor to the east, Saskatchewan that became provinces in 1905. Newfoundland was, until now, the last province in in 1948.

2: Yeah, eh. Bacon, beer, bannock and fireworks. It's a major hoser fest!

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo