[lbo-talk] 5 Point Plan for Book Marketing (The Bradich 10 Point Plan)

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sat Jul 2 16:20:22 PDT 2005

At 5:54 PM -0400 2/7/05, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>>Hey, who's complaining? I'm trying to get on Fox.
>>
>>Doug
>
>You want to get on Fox? You would have to change your strategy.
>Throw caution to the wind.
>
>1. Write a book (it doesn't matter what topic it is).

That's only necessary if you want to sell books. Let's assume that Doug wants to popularise a message.

>2. Make incendiary remarks -- as over-the-top as Ward Churchill's
>-- and/or libelous statements -- as outrageous as Anne Coulter's.
>They must be calculated to push the hottest buttons.

I agree, this takes advantage of the weakness of the capitalist media - its hunger for profits. It is quite true that they will sell you the rope to hang them if the price is right. However it is necessary to be able to back up your incendiary remarks, or you might instead be hanging yourself.

So I would suggest you call the producer and tell them you want to go on air and admit to being a traitor. That gives you the perfect opportunity to explain why:

"Well... I'm an atheist myself, but one never knows for sure. My country is responsible for systematic human rights abuses around the world, murder, torture, imprisonment without trial, illegal wars, supporting dictators, exploiting and stealing from the poor, just about everything that the God of the Bible hates. Like GW says, you're either for it or against it.

Just to be on the safe side of this Hell/Heaven thing, I decided I better be against the United States. So I'm supporting the enemy, that is to say I'm supporting freedom, democracy and the rule of law. That makes me a traitor in the US. Lock me up.

>3. Get a friend on the Right to front a flaming right-wing website
>that seeks to have your books removed from all libraries in the
>United States. Have friends of all political persuasions post the
>URL of the website all over the place.

This is silly. You only have to invent people like that if they don't already exist.

>4. Get another friend on the Right to organize a book burning or two.
>
>5. You get on Fox, 100,000 right-wingers buy copies of your book to
>do copycat book burnings, 100,000 left-wingers buy them just to
>spite the Right, and 100,000 centrists buy them to find out what all
>the fuss is about.

Cynicism, oh dear. It isn't always about making money.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas