[lbo-talk] Saddam lawyers file US writ to move trial outside Iraq

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:44:56 PDT 2005

Back in the 80's when the publisher of In These Times was the IPS, they would runs ads for an IPS project, with left churches, unions, and other progressive orgs., "The Coalition for a New Foreign and Military Policy." The line being (correct) that Somoza, Saddam, Pinochet, Milosevic, etc. were our dictators and we should pressure the USG to withdraw support. Radicals like Joe Stork of MERIP, George Black of NACLA, joined HRW to be human rights researchers into atrocities by USG backed regimes (see their report on the Anfal campaign against the Kurds that killed up to 182,000)and regimes hostile to and/or independent of any possible or real, USG influence. Other radicals like Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz who had been on the leftest edge of SDS, researched Iraqi Ba'athist repression against the Kurds, for a UN Human Rights committee.

Leigh's (and others) mentality, is that 1) we should only pressure the USG, forget other human rights violators 2) but, the policies of USG, in regard to propping up dictators, is beyond any chance of really changing 3)like when the USG under Carter does pressure fascist regimes like the Argentines then (with real results, ask Jacobo Timmerman, tortured by vile anti-semites raving about, "Judeo-Bolshevism, " and Einstein) it is really just a sham. On this logic, Jennifer Harbury should have never pressured the USG to open up its US Embassy, State Dept. and CIA files on the murder of her Guatemalan guerilla husband.

Leigh, Saddam was our bastard. But, the Iraqis should try him there. And, let his lawyers introduce all the (true) evidence of USG complicity in his crimes. But, I'll betcha, there will be left critics ala Covert Action Information Bulletin's WWP nuts (a great journal in the past before the purge of an editor a few yrs. ago) who poo-pooh, real evidence brought out in trial of his crimes.

Again, LM, JD and SP, think I need lectures on US Imperialism. This is G o o g l e's cache of http://squawk.ca/lbo-talk/0408/0208.html From: Michael Pugliese <michael098762001 at earthlink.net>

The representatives of the Vietnamese NLF told New Left organizers to work for McGovern in '72. (Leigh, Marcuse gave talks to students in '72 pleading with them to vote for McGovern. Quote I saw recently from Marcuse, called anti-McGovern lefties, "sectarian.")

Castro in '80 speeches saw a significant difference between Carter and Reagan.

This morning I was reading, "The Condor Years, " by John Dinges, on Pinochet and USG complicity in South American death squad activities. Argentine, Chilean and Mexican exiled leftists I've known, one who was present at the massacre of the thousand students at UNAM in '68, see a difference.

The height of the repression in Guatemala that killed 200,000, was under Rios Montt. Look at these military intelligence dossiers http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB15/press.html http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB15/dossier.pdf http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB15/harpers.pdf (Allan Nairn in The Progressive, back in the mid-80's wrote on the crucial support of Minnesota corp. Control Data to the collection of data for G-2. (Guatemalan military intelligence, Cf. IBM and the Holocaust)

and then continue w/ your Third Period ultra-left twaddle that would prefer Robert Taft of Taft-Hartley. (Carrol)

And, remember, "Communism is Twentith Century Americanism, " today. Best damn slogan the CPUSA ever had.