[lbo-talk] RE: obesity lbo-talk Digest, Vol 19, Issue 30

Celi Ben cpthron at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 5 12:56:44 PDT 2005

>Paul Krugman writes: >around 1980, Americans started getting rapidly
>fatter.<

>hmm... could the "Reagan Revolution" have caused that? is there a
correlation between the rise of neoliberalism (Pinochet, Thatcher,
>etc.) and obesity?

is this a joke? who knows? -- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.

-------- Isn't it supposed to be that obesity and lack of smoking are correlated? People drove big cars and ate badly and weren't familiar with aerobics during the 70s but their obesity level declined then.

Anyway, here are some great Edinburgh pictures by a Berkeley indybay editor - about three of them went over there on some funds, two while cleaning houses for a living http://www.indybay.org/news/2005/07/1750964.php

Also, are there any opinions on this? I don't strike down that the rate at which prices change could influence a supply/demand curve in addition to the

factors which control natural prices for the most simple model that marketers and product managers use for setting the optimum prices of commodities at the grocery store or Kmart, but... are they actually arguing here that that stuff doesn't matter as long as we slowly creep to $80/barrel for oil. I mean, you could point to the fact that there are poor working class people paying very high housing costs in California and New York, and poor people paying much less in the south and Baltimore, yet both must pay approximately the same for an automobile regardless of location - and this is stable because it became this way slowly and they're used to it. But it still seems like adding extra energy costs has to come out of some other category of budget. Maybe the grocery price setters could all collaborate to start raising the price of meat and fruit and make a profit in the same fashion. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/05/BUGP2DI2961.DTL

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/