[lbo-talk] Re: Dropping the B Out of LGBT

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 13:26:57 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>> The article wasn't just about "identities" - it's about the fluidity
>> of desire in men vs. women. It seems more women are truly bisexual
>> than men, at least according to this research. Men, so rigid.

Yeah. OK. On the other hand

1. Sexual desire -- even that measured by instruments is intimately related to what goes on in the brain.

2. Men are brainwashed/conditioned into their sexual identities much, much earlier than women. I have raised both a son and a daughter. The cultural/gender lid slammed shut on my son when he was six. My daughter -- women in general -- get to play both sides at least until puberty. It is much more OK for girls to be tomboys than for boys to be "sissies." To take other trivial examples: it's ok for women to wear pants; but not ok for men to wear dresses. Women were able to do "men's" work before men were able to do "women's" work. There are a lot more women being mom and dad, then there are men. All this stuff contributes to greater gender/sexual fluidity for women.

None of which is to say that anything is hard wired.

Joanna.