[lbo-talk] Re: Dropping the B from LGBT

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jul 5 18:28:37 PDT 2005

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, joanna wrote:

> And the question is, why does it matter? Sometimes I am attracted to men,
> sometimes to women.
> Why do I have to construct an identity around who I happen to be attracted
> to? What is there
> to justify?
>
> Joanna

The incessant requirement to create a stable identity is a hallmark of contemporary capitalist society. Who you like to have sex with, like all aspects of human experience, must be frozen so that it can becomes the basis for rampant commodification (we are offered consumer goods/symbols that display and celebrate our bi/gay/straight identities). I really don't think it's more profound than that.

Miles