[lbo-talk] Russian Astrologer Suing NASA

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:07:09 PDT 2005

Russian Astrologer Suing NASA July 6, 2005, 06:40 AM

(CNN) -NASA's agency has upset the balance of the cosmos by guiding a spacecraft into the path of a comet, and as Ryan Chilcote reports, she has taken her complaints to the Russian legal system.

Outside a Moscow courthouse, astrologist Marina Bai warns deep impacts impact will be felt by the entire universe, and all of humankind. She's suing NASA for messing with mother nature.

Marina Bai - "It was wrong to unilaterally decide some comet is extra, and take a look at what's inside just to satisfy your curiosity."

Bai is a fan of eastern art and philosophy. Her world view goes like this: nature controls everything. And anything that alters nature alters history, too.

"NASA is changing humankind's path, and we don't know in what direction. Whether its opened the gates towards heaven or hell. Comets have been linked to human events throughout history. By some accounts the star of Bethlehem was a comet."

When Bai first filed suit, she wanted to stop Deep Impact from happening. Now that it has, she wants to make it sure nothing like it ever happens again. She wants compensation. - $311 million dollars - of it --- the amount she estimates the project cost NASA. She says she has endured headaches, anger, and a feeling of loss .

But Bai may run into trouble substantiating her take on celestial science in court. At Moscow's institute for thermal physics, Russia's foremost experts on deep space explosions say if the court asks for their opinion, it won't be in Bai's favor.

Some call her crazy, Bai is un phased by the criticism. Let them think I'm crazy. If only 100 people think about this in a different light than I've accomplished something.

She'll be back in court in three weeks.

Ryan Chilcote CNN Moscow

http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3558209&nav=EyAzbnQd