[lbo-talk] Group identification

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:36:41 PDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Doesn't there have to bne some further condition that
> the beliefs that are core to the identification can't
> be based on manifestly and provably false assumptions
> for the group to be "real"?

Most people in our society conceptualize racial groups in the U. S. as genetically distinct subgroups. This is is manifestly and provably false (ask any population geneticist!). Does this mean that racial groups in the U. S. are not "real"?

The existence of social groups is not contingent upon scientific logic and evidence; we need only have a social consensus that group X exists for that consensus to have real social consequences (discrimination, legal rights, access to resources).

Miles