[lbo-talk] MM on terrorist threat, circa 2003

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 7 10:50:12 PDT 2005

> According to these pages, this is what MM said. I'm assuming that the
> comments were taken out of context. That he means something more subtle.
> Anyone know?
>
> Strange, though, I don't recall this coming up last summer when F911 was
> released in theaters.

I seem to recall that he was referring to the lack of a credible terrorist threat from Iraq. That the idea that Iraq was planning a terrorist attack against the US was untrue. Certainly the idea of a terrorist threat is extremely overblown. In a country where every year 36,000 people die from the flu and 17,000 die from aspirin overdose, the 85 people per year who die from terrorists attacks seems like a rather small threat. The number of terrorists attacks world wide per year has been dropping over the last 15 years or so the threat is also diminishing year by year as well.

John Thornton