[lbo-talk] Meth is king?

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 7 12:04:37 PDT 2005

> Does anyone know why Meth use is spreading in rural areas
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/05/AR2005070501081.html
>
> I think I tried it once, and it was most unpleasant. What exactly is the
> attraction -- or do people have to use it because of work?
>
> Joanna

Meth production has exploded here where I live in Missouri. This is one of the nations highest per capita meth production areas. CA, AZ, and MO all vie for the top spot but since so much goes undetected it is impossible to say which is actually number one. I'm not certain why any state desires to be number one in this area. Maybe there's more federal money to be obtained?

There was a new method of production a few years back that called for ingredients commonly used in farming so moving to rural areas to buy these supplies helped hide those transactions. Before that most meth was made in urban areas but in smaller more scattered facilities. The idea that the waste and smell are hard to hide in urban settings is commonly cited but incorrect. There are plenty of industrial areas in urban settings where such activity does take place unnoticed. I've seen a few in Chicago and St. Louis. There are mobile production facilities as well. I read of one recently in KC that was involved in a traffic accident IIRC.

I find it unpleasant but I don't like cocaine much either. I don't like "speedy" things. I like mellowing agents. Some people prefer "speedy" properties to their intoxicants. It's also a great diet aid. I've known many people who used it for a short period for just that reason. That may be part of the appeal for a few people as well but like many drugs for many people using it creates the desire to use it again.

>From what I've seen in the workplace in the past it makes working difficult as it makes concentration
extremely difficult. That is another thing I dislike about it. Opium makes it easy to concentrate. Opium and cocaine make it easy to win bicycle races too!

John Thornton