[lbo-talk] Meth is king?

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 13:16:10 PDT 2005

On 7/7/05, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I find it unpleasant but I don't like cocaine much either. I don't like "speedy" things.

I actually didn't like coke the two or three times I did it. It's a different kind of speedy, I think. Plus, and this may have changed since I was doing it in the late 1980s, you could do one small line of meth and that would keep you going the whole night. The cokeheads had to do big, expensive lines and replenish every few hours.

>From what I've seen in the workplace in the past it makes working difficult as it makes concentration
> extremely difficult.

Not my experience. I could work, do crossword puzzles, even play chess, *much* better on speed than off it.

It is a nasty drug though. It does horrible things to you physically.

I had chronic bronchitis (although that meant a chronic supply of cough syrup with codeine, then my #1 drug of choice), a constant nosebleed, bad skin ("speed bumps", we called them), and just generally felt like crap much of the time. I was probably a fairly unbearable person, too, that tends to go with the territory.

Fortunately I cleaned up after only about a year and a half of frequent use - thankfully having refused to join in when most of my friends went from snorting to shooting - and I was still a teenager at the time, so no longterm damage, at least not that I'm aware of.