[lbo-talk] RFC: some books on israel, ww2, ...

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Jul 7 13:21:57 PDT 2005

http://www.noontidepress.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_i d=42

> Garaudy was a major PCF intellectual in the 60's and 70's. Don't
> know why he left the French Communist Party. Was one of the leading
> attackers of Sartre.

He was expelled from the Party around 1970 or so. He had been one of the leading critics of the Party's handling of the events of May 1968. Before his expulsion he was the Party's "house philosopher" (as opposed to someone like Louis Althusser), its leading pointman in Marxist-Christian dialog, and had even been a member of the Party's political bureau. He came from a Protestant background, and I believe while still in the Party, he had converted to Roman Catholicism. His later conversion to Islam did not occur until around 1982, long after he had been kicked out of the Party.

Yah, while in the Party he was a leading attacker of Sartre, but was also a critic of Althusser (a fellow Party member) as well.