[lbo-talk] London bombings

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 8 09:25:46 PDT 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

>>From: "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk>
>>
>>So today, the bombings find Blair at the top of his game. The G8
>>protestors who were getting a very generous press yesterday have
>>disappeared from the newservices, and he is striking a Churchillian
>>note. Even Bush, who was being rubbished as the Toxic Texan
>>yesterday, is taken as a welcome ally today.
>
>Allow me then to share the potent defenses we Americans have
>developed in the so-called war on terror:
>
>1) Display plenty of national flags on your person.
>
>2) Deck your vehicle with Support Our Troops stickers.
>
>2) Tie yellow ribbons around everything else.
>
>3) Discard any and all civil liberties.

You should have seen all the cops in NYC yesterday. There were a few on the 86th St IRT platform, and a swarm on the Wall Street platform. (And a news photog taking pix of the cops on the WS platform.) Wall Street itself was full of cops, and the paramilitary creeps in front of the Deutsche Bank building looked particularly energized. I didn't see the NYSE, but it's usually surrounded by fences and cops with automatic weapons - more than you can say for any nuclear or chemical plant.

I don't know what the point of deploying all these cops is, except maybe to frighten and reassure the population simultaneously. It's not like the terrorists are stupid enough to try to plant bombs several hours after London got hit.

Doug