[lbo-talk] nuts watching nuts (It's the actuaries... Really!)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 21:48:49 PDT 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

"It does many productive things. I'll leave you some time to figure them out. It has something to do with the fact that the anarchist movement is growing in this country while the Old Left hawks boring newspapers."

10 posts today, huh? Something Pugliese said must have really upset you.

Burning the US flag and trashing windows in SF I don't think indicates much about the strength of the anarchist movement, for better or worse. In fact, it could indicate the exact opposite -- weakness. I'd love to see antiauthoritarianism grow, actually, but your analysis about "the anarchist movement" here again seems to be pretty Pollyanna-ish. I think there was some sort of peak around 2000 and 2001, and while there's probably more self-identifying anoks than there have been in decades, I think a flag burning in SF is a poor barometer. And even less is it productive.

-B.