[lbo-talk] Brits keep on trucking

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 10 22:58:22 PDT 2005

I just dredged up 375 hits on Google News for "stiff upper lip" -- a carbon-datable cliché that has really gotten a workout in coverage of the recent London bombings. But as wearisome as it is to pummeled with all that Spirit of the Blitz rhetoric, I must say I was impressed by the sang-froid reportedly shown in Birmingham Saturday night after a bomb scare led to the police to carry out "controlled explosions" of packages on a bus and evacuate the city center's main entertainment district. The NY Times states: "One wedding party was reported by a BBC journalist in the city to have danced away from the presumed danger in a conga line."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/international/europe/10cnd-bombings.html?hp&ex=1121054400&en=6592e58f5d489aed&ei=5094&partner=homepage>

Carl