The linguistic bubble! (was: Re: [Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk]Obscurequestion on origin of ethnic slur])

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Jul 11 15:09:56 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>

>Isn't it possible that people are less fearful
> than the media would like to portray them, so when they didn't stay home
> the media labelled it as extreme in the other direction?

A good friend living in London wrote me this in letting me know she was fine:

"things are good as the dust clears . . . not so good for those personally effected (though i suspect the death toll pales in comparison to drunk driving accidents or even violent crime on a daily basis in London - interesting that this captures the world attention in a different way -- which i guess is what terrorism is aiming at."

She then jumped right into telling me about her work with an arts program with kids.

If this was actually all we had to expect from the big terror networks-- a few dozen people killed each year -- it's kind of insane for us to be talking about a "war on terrorism" Of course, the fear is that a lucky strike with nastier weapons like bioterrorism or such could make all of this pale, so the fear is really not about this particular act but what could be or what people imagine.

-- Nathan Newman