[lbo-talk] nuts watching nuts

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:01:12 PDT 2005

Chuck, see a documentary on I.F. Stone. One of the scenes he is addressing one of the huge anti-war MOBE's in the late 60's or early 70's in Washington, D.C. And I was asking for you to cite some books by social movement activists or scholars, on successful and not, social movements. Piven and Cloward, "Poor Peoples Movements, " as an example. Voline on the Russian Revo., if you prefer an anarchist text. Something.

Lacny, would you have signed one of the innumerable petitions Stone signed appearing in the NYRB for Soviet and Eastern bloc dissidents, in the 60's and 70's?

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/7040 FOR 'SOLIDARITY' By Allen Ginsberg, Barbara Garson, Barry Commoner, David McReynolds, Hal Draper, Harley Shaiken, I. F. Stone, Joanne Landy, Kate Ellis, Michael Harrington, Seymour Melman, William K. Tabb

In, "The I.F. Stone Reader, " Random House/Vintage, that I used to have a copy of, Stone relates a trip to the USSR in the mid-50's which repelled him away from his residual Old Left fellow travelling sympathies. (See among, many books detailing Stone's views in the 30's onwards, "Radical Visions and American Dreams, " by Richard Pells, "Noble Abstractions: American Intellectuals and WWII, " by Frank Warren, " Telltale Hearts: The Origins and Impact of the Anti-Vietnam War Movement, " by Adam Garfinkle.) Plus the repression of the Hungarian Revolt.