[lbo-talk] Solzhenitsyn

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 02:07:24 PDT 2005

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most people brought up in Europe learn several
> languages, while those
> in the US learn usually only English (and a
> smattering of another)
> when young. The problem is that if you don't learn
> them while young,
> it's really really hard to learn new ones. (The
> exception would be
> those linguistic geniuses, such as Chris perhaps.)
> So the linguistic
> disadvantage of the US educational system -- which
> is an advantage in
> some "nativist" eyes -- ends up being pretty hard to
> deal with.

I'm hardly a linguistic genius. Joanna and Woj both know more languages than I do. Probably Caroll Cox too. It is not that hard. I know people in their 40s who are learning Russian right now quite successfully. It is true however that it is not their first foreign language.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs