[lbo-talk] Solzhenitsyn

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 14 10:16:04 PDT 2005

I lived that way all through graduate school, 7 days a week. To bed by 10 or 11 and back up at 3 or 4. Imagine having a child to take care of and a husband to appease..... The only respite I had was the first summer after I'd finished coursework. Later, I worked for adjunct jobs, traveling, some days, 240 miles a day. Totaled my car in an accident falling asleep at the whell. When I got a "real" job, the new boss told me, "You don't need sleep til you're 40 and there are 144 hrs in a week. You'll be so busy, you'll have to schedule an appointment to pee."

and, Btw, that someone's a classicist is exactly my point. the languages are the result of schooling and career choices. I'm a lot more impressed with R who learned Japanese in his spare time, with no compelling schooling or occupational reason to do so.