[lbo-talk] Solzhenitsyn

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 14 14:55:37 PDT 2005

On 13 Jul 2005 at 23:53, Chris Doss wrote:

> > Bullshit. What is easy for you to do may be
> > extremely difficult for others. It isn't as if all
> > humans are equally
> > endowed with the ability to acquire second languages
> > after reaching adulthood. I'm a bit disappointed in
> > the
> > self-congratulatory style of this post. You know
> > better than this or at least you should.
> > It also requires time. Something in short supply for
> > many people.
> >
> > John Thornton
>

> I have to apologize. My online persona is becoming
> increasingly short-tempered as late. I am overloaded
> with work (have to proofread 250 pages of scientific
> text by tomorrow morning), haven't gotten more than 5
> hours of sleep a night in the last two weeks, am
> getting over the flu, and haven't had a vacation since
> New Year's. It seems to be making me very aggressive.
>
> Nu, zayats, pogodi!

I probably overreacted a little myself. This self-employment thing is more difficult with home and spouse than it was when I was a free and easy single and very happening dude. I broke a $95 crucible right before I took a break to eat and read email so I was in all probability more pissy than was called for. I haven't been on vacation since March '04, I do sleep 8 or 9 hours per night lately though.

I was cheered up when I found out my namesake nephew who is staying with Ronnie "Particle Boy" for the summer got the last laugh for a change in an exchange with his cousin Stewart. His cousin knows almost the entire US interstate system by memory and "entertains" by telling people the best route between two randomly chosen points. Sort of a human MapQuest. During another tiresome route telling, Johnny (my nephew) chimed in that he couldn't imagine why Stewart would spend any time memorizing such information when a decent atlas is less than an hours wages. Many drunken adults found it a tremendously amusing way to end the route planning game. Having no offspring I have to enjoy my niece's and nephew's exploits.

John Thornton