[lbo-talk] Solzhenitsyn

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 15:04:36 PDT 2005

--- snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I lived that way all through graduate school, 7 days
> a week. To bed by 10
> or 11 and back up at 3 or 4. Imagine having a child
> to take care of and a
> husband to appease..... The only respite I had was
> the first summer after
> I'd finished coursework. Later, I worked for adjunct
> jobs, traveling, some
> days, 240 miles a day. Totaled my car in an accident
> falling asleep at the
> whell. When I got a "real" job, the new boss told
> me, "You don't need sleep
> til you're 40 and there are 144 hrs in a week.
> You'll be so busy, you'll
> have to schedule an appointment to pee."

When I was in my next-to-last year of grad school, I was working 60-70 hours a week and taking four classes -- but I was also engaged and IN LOVE, so I had A CAUSE, and it didn't matter subjectively.

> and, Btw, that someone's a classicist is exactly my
> point. the languages
> are the result of schooling and career choices. I'm
> a lot more impressed
> with R who learned Japanese in his spare time, with
> no compelling schooling
> or occupational reason to do so.

Well, I basically learned all my languages on my own (one or two classes at most, four in the case of French, with the majority of the work being my own initiative). I knew almost nada Russian when I first came here (but then I'm immersed, and Russians don't speak English). But then again I'm a weird person who thinks memorizing declensions is fun. I was delighted with Icelandic -- the article comes at the end of the noun! How could anybody not get excited about that? :)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs