[lbo-talk] Democraphics and economics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 15 11:50:42 PDT 2005

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>This is addressedto Doug or anyone to knows something
>about financial markets. Read a theory, arguing
>against SS privatization and more generally on the
>reliance of American retirement security on the stock
>marjet, that in about 10-15 years, when the second
>wave of boomers (my cohort, 1955-65) retires and
>starts to cash in their IRAs & 401(k)s, this being the
>first generation to rely more on these and not to have
>pensions, that this will begin to exert a long term
>downward pressure on the stock market just in virtue
>of increasing supply (more selling than buying) that
>will last more or less till that cohort is dead. Is
>that crackpottery, or reasonable or-- is it just
>impossible to say given the range of things that might
>happen in the market, or what? Is it a consideration
>to take seriously in arguing with wobbly liberals
>about retirement security?

It's something to be taken seriously. All retirement systems, taken as a whole, are basically pay-as-you-go funds. That's obvious with a public system, like Social Security, which pays today's benefits with today's taxes. But there's nothing magic about a stock-market-centered system that can escape this logic. Money going out must be matched by money going in. Capital gains are nice, but they are only meaningful if they can be realized with someone's cash. The economic logic to this is that money represents/is valorized by current production. A society as a whole can't satisfy tomorrow's needs with today's cash or today's production.

There's a profound passage from Keynes that makes this point: