[lbo-talk] Democraphics and economics

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:51:20 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>It's something to be taken seriously. All retirement systems, taken as a
>whole, are basically pay-as-you-go funds. That's obvious with a public
>system, like Social Security, which pays today's benefits with today's
>taxes. But there's nothing magic about a stock-market-centered system that
>can escape this logic. Money going out must be matched by money going in.
>Capital gains are nice, but they are only meaningful if they can be
>realized with someone's cash. The economic logic to this is that money
>represents/is valorized by current production. A society as a whole can't
>satisfy tomorrow's needs with today's cash or today's production.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this is an unconventional view on pensions.

For example, the Canada Pension Plan was revamped in 1998 to allow surplus contributions to be invested in a wide range of asset classes. These investments will be sold in the future to pay future benefits. A mainstream Canadian think tank commissioned a 45-page study on the new approach from a former economics professor. He characterized the old approach as "essentially pay-as-you-go with a small investment fund" and the new approach as "a partially but substantially funded program with a much larger investment fund." I have never seen the new approach described as pay-as-you-go.

Is the conventional view a byproduct of orthodox economics or is it just incomplete thinking?

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet has to offer. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.